Japanese tourist visa application for Filipinos in the Philippines from the embassy
Japan, Japanese Visa, Philippines

How to Apply and Get a Japanese Tourist Visa in the Philippines

As I prepare the requirements for my upcoming vacation to Japan, I took the liberty of sharing the process which have already brought me there twice in late 2012. Should be a good sign, right?

[UPDATE] Filipinos are now eligible to apply for the multiple-entry tourist visas, as part of the relaxation of Japan’s visa policies toward ASEAN countries.


Complete all the Requirements for the Tourist Visa Application

1. Philippine Passport

As with other visa applications, tampered passports will not be accepted. Ensure that your passports are in their best condition! Oh and be sure to take out those dainty passport holders.

2. Photo
  • 4.5cm x 4.5cm with white background
  • Photo must be pasted on the application form.
3. Visa Application Form 

Here is a soft copy of the visa application form.
Given that you’re hoping to make a good impression, I recommend you fill out the online PDF form with your computer. The form is readily editable so you don’t have to worry about converting the file.

4. Birth Certificate*

You may request a birth certificate online from National Statistics Office (NSO).

Fill Out Online Application Form
Pay through Accredited Payment Channel
Wait for Delivery

A copy of the birth certificate costs Php 315 and takes 3-5 working days to be delivered within Metro Manila, Cebu and Davao.

NSO Website | FAQ | Payment Instructions | Delivery
E-mail address e-census.info@census.gov.ph

*Note that you only need to present a birth certificate once for the Japan visa application. As it’s already my third application, I may skip this step.

If the applicant is has his/her passport (old or valid) with a used Japanese visa

5. Marriage Contract 

Same procedure with the birth certificate.

6. Daily Schedule or General Itinerary

Here is a soft copy of the Schedule of Stay in word format.

Below is a Sample Schedule of Stay,

sample schedule of stay for filipino tourists applying for japanese visa in the philippines

Sample Schedule of Stay for Japan Visa Application for Citizens of the Philippines

7. Bank Certificate

The intention of this article is to show that you are financially capable of  supporting yourself for the duration of your vacation in Japan. It is known that the cost of living in Japan is high so you have to be smart about how you will be presenting your financial standing. There is no pre-defined monetary basis as long as you will be able to sustain your stay, including any emergencies, based on what you have presented in the schedule of stay.

8. Income Tax Return (Form 2316)

This should readily be available from your HR department.

Otherwise, you can request through Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR),

Telephone no: 981-8888
Trunkline: 981-7000
Email address: contact_us@cctr.bir.gov.ph
Office address: BIR National Office Bldg., BIR Road, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines

9. Additional proof of your vacation and exit from Japan

It is applicant’s responsibility to ensure that he/she meet the requirements for the grant of a visa. Submission of any supporting documents not listed above is encouraged (e.g. applicant’s economic or social ties with the Philippines, urgent reasons for visit: medical certificate, wedding invitation). ~ Embassy of Japan in the Philippines

  • Certificate of Employment (COE) – stating current position, annual income, length of service and approved leaves
  • Airline Ticket / e-Ticket
  • Hotel Reservation / Confirmation
  • Approved Leaves – with confirmation or acceptance of manager

For those who wish to apply for the 3-year or 1-year multiple entry visa, the additional requirements would have to be submitted (depending under which classification you fall under).

Classification A: Applicants with travel history as temporary visitor to Japan in the last three years without any record of violations of the laws and regulations of Japan during their period of stay.

1. Recent or old passport that shows previous stays in Japan within the last three years.
2. ITR (Income Tax Return) or Bank Certificate of the applicant or of the person who will support the applicant
3. Documents to prove residence in the Philippines (copy of Identification cards etc.)
4. Explanation Letter why the applicant needs a multiple-entry visa

Classification B: Employed individuals with sufficient financial capacity to support their stay in Japan.

1. Employment Certificate
2. ITR (Income Tax Return )
3. Documents to prove residence in the Philippines (copy of Identification cards etc.)
4. Explanation Letter why the applicant needs a multiple-entry visa


Submit Application to an Accredited Agency

Click here for the detailed list of accredited agencies by the Embassy of Japan.

I recommend that you submit your visa application directly to the accredited agencies listed above, otherwise you might be charged with additional handling fees. I’ve personally experienced this because I was charged twice the handling fee when we submitted the application through a non-accredited travel agency in Manila.

The handling fee of my 2nd visa application through Friendship Tours and Resorts Corporation in Dusit Thani Hotel was only Php 1,200. The staff were friendly and approachable. I submitted my application on Friday afternoon and by Monday afternoon I had already received an SMS from the agency that my passport is ready for pick up. Of course, the agency has no control on the turn around of your application once they have transmitted it to the Embassy.

I wish you the best of luck on your application!

Should you have any inquiries or suggestions, feel free to leave a comment below or email me at theeagertraveller@gmail.com.

Click here for the official tourist visa application by the Embassy of Japan in the Philippines.

In case you’ve missed it, you might want to check out,

Autumn in Japan : Day 1 | Day 2 | Day 3 | Day 4 | Day 5 | Day 6 | Day 7 | Day 8

Winter in Japan : Day 1 – 2 | Day 3 – 4 – 5 | Day 6 | Day 7 | Day 8 | Day 9 | Day 10 | Day 11 | Day 12 – 13 – 14 – 15

You can also find me on google.

272 thoughts on “How to Apply and Get a Japanese Tourist Visa in the Philippines

  1. ems

    hello there just want to ask where did you get those contact numbers in your itinerary? i have no idea where to get those contacts need to fill up my Schedule of stay..thanks hope to here from you soon… God bless!

  2. carol samson

    My mother is an american citizen who want to have a tour in japan currently
    Shes here in the philippine,she want to go with her grandaughter as her personal assistant … Can you help us what to do

  3. Raphael

    Hi I’m currently unemployed but will be visiting Japan this late October. The trip will be sponsored by our parents. Do I still need to show employment certification? Because I will not be able to provide that anytime soon. Thank you

  4. lilibeth marie m.mendoza

    this info is very helpful to those who have a plan to visit japan..tnx for sharing,you have a golden heart to help others.

  5. grace

    Ask po sana paano po kung my friend ako don n Japanese at may sariling bahay,impossible kayang makapunta ako don at tumira sa bahay nila at don na mag apply ng trabaho?ano po ung recquerments?

  6. richard m arboleda

    Ask ko lng po..
    1st time ko po kasi..
    Ok lang po b kung ano-ano po ang requirements?
    Unang beses plang po kasi ako mag aapply..
    Taga japan po kasi ang pamangkin ko po…
    Pwede nyo po b ako tawagan para lang po sa impormasyon para lang po klaro…
    Maraming salamat po..
    Aasahan ko ung feedback nyo po…

  7. Mhedz

    Ask ko po gusto q pumunta s japan kc kinasal nmn aq sa hapon kso nga lng decease n xa and di q pa naexperience pumunta dun my kosikitohon nmn aq,,and my 2child me sa hapon,,,pno kya kme makapunta dun

  8. tortkeeper


    We are in the process of completing our requirements for the visa. We just found out though that I have two registrations with NSO under two completely different names so I’m unable to get the birth certificate that matches my passport and all my ids etc. We are not aware of the first registration which has me carrying the name of my absentee father hence all my life i carried another name and my mom’s surname (I’m proud to say I was raised by a single mom). We’ve consulted a lawyer already, and I will need to have the first registration canceled which takes about a year since it’ll need to thru the courts. Since our trip is in November already, here are the items I plan to submit:

    - passport
    - birth certificate from NSO dated 2011 with receipt (late registered – I was born 1983 and was late registered 1988).
    - school form 137
    - baptismal certificate
    - all govt ids, etc that will show that I did not use any other name in my lifetime .
    - letter explaining the reason behind the NSO issue which will hopefully include a petition already to cancel my first registration
    - ITR
    - COE
    - bank certificates (substantial amount from several banks if needed)
    - Sunlife MF investment
    - Manulife Investment
    - Philamlife Investment
    - property title
    - plane tickets (piso fare, hehe)

    Have traveled to several Asian countries already, HK, Sing, Taipei, Cambodia, Vietnam, Korea, Mumbai, Bangkok and Malaysia.

    Any thoughts on the items I plan on submitting? Really worried with the NSO issue, funny enough I can’t seem to find anyone similar to my situation.

    We are traveling as a famjly as well, my mom, sister and GF. It’ my graduation gift to my sister who’s graduating in a couple of weeks.

    Hope someone can help..

    Thank you.

  9. He’s not desperately trying to look like a big shot. The advent from the internet has dramatically changed
    the way in which bets are placed on football or soccer.
    There are some excellent websites that offer live football matches, as well as live match scores, for one
    low price.

  10. marie antonette lugue

    Bakit po ganon, nag apply kami sa raja travel and tours ngbayad kmi 3,000 for processing. Complete documents kami ng asawa ko buysit pagdating ng passport denay daw!! Ka asarr…nka plano yan bgo kmi ikasal pupunta kmi ng japan. Pinakita ko old passport nmin dami tatak asia mga oinunthan nmn. Pbalik balik pa kmi. Pwede ba kmi mag try sa ibang agency? Kuha kmi ng ticket package tour. D kmi punta don pra magwork. We dont need that anyway!

  11. elgileah medillo baldoza

    good day mam paano po mag apply for visiting lang sa japan meron po kasi akong cousin at mga kaibigan na doon na naniarahan.gusto ko pong maka bisita sa kanila doon ano po ang mga kailangan ko para maka balik nang japan…dati rin po kasi akong OCW sa japan madam at malinis po ang record ko..thank you and hoping sa inyong reply

  12. Hi! I’m currently making the Schedule of Stay for our planned trip in December. What contact numbers should I put if say we visit Tokyo Tower or Universal Studios. Right now, I’m not sure if we’ll be able to use of phone in PH… can we use the contact number of the establishment? What if we just want to tour around Gion or Mt. Fuji?

    Appreciate your help! :) And I really find your blog posts informative. Thanks for sharing these!

    • Yu Tomiyama

      If you have a companion with you that lives in Japan, you can put their phone number in the application form. You can also use the phone number of the establishment or for places like Mt. Fuji, you can probably use your own phone number or just indicate “same as above” The Japan embassy is not too strict when it comes to phone numbers. It’s just for application purposes. Thank you.

  13. polin

    Hi, for a single entry visa, how long can i stay in Japan? Is it 3 months? And say it is 3 months and i’ll go back to home after this 3 months, can i apply immediately for another visa? Or is there a prescribed time to be out of Japan (say a month) before i can apply again?

    Thank you!

    • Yu Tomiyama

      usually for a single entry visa, maximum stay is 15 days. so within the 3 months validity of your single entry visa, you can only enter Japan once. If you want to enter Japan again after entering Japan once, then you would have to apply for another visa again. you can apply again as soon as your single entry Japanese visa has expired.

    • Yu Tomiyama

      Check out niyo po ang website http://www.relitours.ph. Agency po sila na nagaasikaso ng Japanese visa. Nakasulat po lahat ng mga requirements na kailangan mo para sa visa application tulad ng birth certificate, passport, application form, etc. May print version po sila ng application form for Japan visa dun. Di naman ganun kahigpit sila sa visa approval lately. Madali na lang makakuha ng single entry visa to Japan. Maximum stay is 15 days. Salamat!

  14. leslie

    hi! ask ko lang kung may iba pa bng requirements aside sa na mention sa website at sa blog, kasi resident and working ako in dubai,UAE, pero philippine passport holder ako. mag vacation ako in philippines then will visit in japan together ng family ko and my son so where going to apply family visa. Parehas lang ba ang requirements or may karagdagan pang documents. I have already this ff. documents.
    1.certificate of employment in Dubai with company stamp
    2.salary certificate with company stamp (there is no Income tax in this country)
    3.Personal/ Residential ID in Dubai
    4.Bank Certificate
    Confused lang po ako baka kasi masayang lang po ung ticket kung may kulang pa akong documents.
    Thanks in advance.

    • Yu Tomiyama

      Kung first time mo magapply for Japanese visa, kailangan mo ng birth certificate dahil first time applicant ka. So far, mukhang okay naman lahat ng mga kailangan mo. Ang kailangan mo lang gawin ngayon is to fill up the application form for Japan visa and also itinerary plan all available sa agency for Japan visa, Reli Tours and Travel sa http://www.relitours.ph

  15. Pingback: How to apply for a Tourist Visa for Japan | When in Japan

  16. Robinson Cabalfin Jr.

    How can I apply for a tourist visa going to Japan from Dubai, UAE? I am a Filipino citizen and currently working here in the UAE.

    • Yu Tomiyama

      Find out if there is a Japanese embassy in UAE and give them a call to inquire. There could be an accredited agency in UAE that handles visa applications. Thank you.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s